901 W. Rex Allen Dr. | Willcox, AZ 85643
| Toll Free:
Map to Hospital
Boots and Bling Fundraiser Event
Board of Directors
List of Services
Outpatient Nursing Services
Rural Health Clinics
Patient Financial Services
Chief Nursing Officer / Chief Clinical Officer - Administration
Responsible and accountable for planning, organizing and directing the overall operations of Nursing/Patient Care Services at Northern Cochise Community Hospital (NCCH). The CNO/CCO exemplifies NCCH's Mission, Vision, and Values through nursing practice and delivery. This position also directs and coordinates functions relating to the Medical Floor Department (Inpatient, outpatient, observation and Swing Bed), Emergency Department, Endoscopy, Case Management, Utilization Review, Respiratory, Rehabilitation, Radiology, Laboratory, Employee Health, Nurse Education, Infection Control, Pharmacy, and Dietary services.
Reasonable Accommodations / Job Performance:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function and the physical demands satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job description outlines those functions, responsibilities and success factors upon which the incumbent's performance may be evaluated.
Provides Clinical Leadership and management oversight:
• Provides ongoing effective leadership and management for the day to day operations of nursing and clinical services.
• Ensures that Northern Cochise Community Hospital continues to adapt, evolve, and grow to accommodate changes in the healthcare environment.
• Works cooperatively with the Medical Staff and hospital personnel to insure that the highest quality of health service is being provided to patients.
• Maintains compliance with regulations governing healthcare providers and the regulations of accrediting bodies by monitoring operations and initiating changes where required.
• Provides oversight for responsible departments for the coordination and control of the annual budget process.
• Represents Nursing and participates in Administrative Council management activities including: strategic plan development, administrative team meetings, and departmental staff meeting.
• Prepares reports for presentation to the Board of Directors, Medical Staff and Manager Meetings as directed by the CEO.
• Maintains community affiliations to support and promote a positive image of Northern Cochise Community Hospital in the community.
• Maintains professional affiliations and enhances professional growth and development.
• Guides annual goal setting as well as the development, implementation, and
monitoring of a strategic plan for Nursing which reflects the organizations current and
anticipated strategic priorities.
• Assures the integration of the findings of current evidence based practice and
research into the policies and procedures governing the provision of nursing care.
• Advocates and allocates for resources, including fiscal and technology resources, to
support patient care and to support the mission and vision of NCCH.
• Continuously reviews productivity and efficiency of staff and implement changes where
• Oversees and monitors the administration and control of medications/drugs by nursing personnel.
• Develops organizational and departmental goals and objectives, and establishes and implements policies and procedures for departmental and organizational operation.
Develops and implements quality improvement programs to ensure quality patient care and safety.
Participates in the selection, hiring, and development of training programs for new employees.
Develops standards of performance and initiates recommendations for personnel action.
Develops and recommends departmental operating budgets and ensures the departments are working within budget.
Assures Nursing Leadership support for staff by maintaining a Nursing Administration Call rotation at all times.
Participates in Medical Staff/Governing Board meetings as directed.
Participates in community activities such as health or job fairs, influenza clinics, as well as community education opportunities.
Manages Inventory/Supply cost:
Reviews monthly statements and implements appropriate change.
Responsible for the direct maintenance of departmental facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials.
Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
BSN from an accredited school of Nursing required, MSN preferred. 5 years supervisory experience with at least 1 year of senior level Nursing Leadership experience as a DON or CNO at a CAH, plus 3 years acute care nursing experience required. Previous ER experience preferred. 3 years nursing leadership experience at a Critical Access Hospital (CAH) strongly preferred.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of Arizona Nurse Practice Act, and current standards of care.
• Demonstrated leadership ability and potential managerial competency. Evidence of this includes, but is not limited to, effective communication skills, ability to deal well with people, ability to problem solve, ability to confront/resolve issues, ability to motivate others, ability to plan, organize, and direct the activities of others. Strong recruitment and retention abilities.
• Knowledge of HIPPA Confidentiality and Security requirements.
• Knowledge and technical skills/ability to perform the functions of their specific clinical or non clinical discipline.
• Ability to respond effectively and make independent decisions as circumstances warrant.
• Skill and abilities to communicate effectively using both verbal and written methods.
• Effective critical thinking, problem solving, planning and analytical skills and abilities.
• Skill and abilities to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and re-prioritize with changing circumstances.
• Well-organized, self-directed, and presents/maintains a professional demeanor.
• Able to provide technical advice and knowledge to those within as well as outside of their discipline.
• Effective interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Computer proficiency and technical aptitude and ability to effectively use computer software programs.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Skill and abilities to maintain working relationships that focuses on performance.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Current Unrestricted Arizona Registered Nurse License required.
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification preferred.
Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC) Certification or ATCN preferred.
Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) Certification preferred.
Emergency preparedness training preferred, to include Intermediate and Advanced Incident Management System. Completion of NIMS Courses 100 (Relias Part 2-5) within one (1) year.
Subject to on call and call back after hours and on weekends and during emergency conditions. Professionally Able to function in any of the Command Staff & General Staff functions of the Hospital Incident Command System ( HICS)
Management responsibilities may include the following:
Cost and Revenue
Engage in business development
Manage inventory/supply costs
Manage staff costs
Prepare budgets/manage variances
Review charges and daily departmental census
Manages department compliance with licensing and certification standards
Responsible for oversight of annual review of policy and procedures
Recognizes need for and implements new policies and procedures as indicated.
Manages quality assurance, performance improvement and patient/staff safety/risk
Establish patient and staff safety procedures
Initiate performance improvement activities
Prepares annual performance and operational goals and targeted activities
Monitor progress of goals and activities
Insure timely completion of departmental employee performance evaluations.
Participate in staff meetings conducted by department managers
Participates in the training/orientation, and when necessary disciplinary recommendations, of staff
Provides oversight of departmental work schedules
Participates in the Interviewing of select staff
Service: The extent to which an employee demonstrates an understanding of the department's service standards and strives to achieve them, treats patients and families with dignity, compassion and respect
at all times, and demonstrates courtesy in interactions with members of all departments and disciplines within the organization.
Teamwork: The extent to which an employee acts as a cohesive member of a work team and demonstrates appropriate interactions with all NCCH service providers.
Communication: Fosters an environment that nurtures collaboration, teamwork and mutual respect through effective communication, and demonstrates positive communication skills evidenced by effective working relationships.
Respect for Others: Takes actions that indicate a consideration for others and being aware of the impact of one's behavior on others, demonstrates respect for diverse backgrounds of all patients, families, and coworkers, and seeks accommodations.
Time and Property Management: Optimizes use of time by efficiently using resources to identify barriers and balance priorities. Efficiently utilizes tools, resources, techniques and/or systems to organize tasks. Balances multiple priorities simultaneously, assuring the timely and accurate completion of each task, while maintaining quality standards.
"Northern Cochise Community Hospital, Inc., believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our overall success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but is not intended to limit the incumbent nor Northern Cochise Community Hospital Inc., to only the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors."
Submit application at www.ncch.com EOEP
Position Type :
Jennifer Cochran - Recruiting Specialist
901 West Rex Allen Drive
Willcox , AZ 85643
Click Here to fill out our official online application.